Sunday, May 20, 2007

McDonald's

I went to McDonald's today.

Yeah, I know...please spare me the whole, "But you are in Greece....etc" argument.a With rain pounding central Athens today, I needed something quick and easy.

I am glad I went though.

McDonald's in Greece, as it is throughout much of Europe, is not a fast-food chain on every corner like in America. Here in Athens, McDonald's is home to a melting pot of visitors and Athenians alike. A common place where people gather to eat, drink coffee, and enjoy ice cream. There is no drive-thru. There is no rush to leave. It is two-stories high, and has an outside eating courtyard with umbrellas.

What impressed me most though was the people who worked there.

As I walked up to the counter, an Albanian-Greek named Nicko greeted me. He asked me in Greek what I wanted. I responded in English, and he responded with perfect spoken English. He never hesitated as I am sure his brain has to shift between several different languages on almost a non-stop basis. Cooking behind the counter were two women who looked to be in their mid-30's. I was told that one was from Korea and the other from Northern Greece.

Upstairs, as I enjoyed my Big Mac, I was surrounded by Germans, English, Chinese, Indians, and Greeks. It was as diverse a crowd you would see anywhere.

One other thing that struck me was that there continues to be this overwhelming discontentment with American foreign policy and Americans in general overseas. However, there doesn't seem to be much of an issue with acceptance of American imports to places like Greece. McDonald's was busy. The Levi Straus store was packed solid. Everyone is wearing Nike shoes. And just about every young person in Greece is sporting an iPod. How are American brands living and thriving amidst an environments where being "American" is seen as unpopular?

How can Europe continue to criticize America and American values, yet so openly accept (and pay for) American products and elements of our culture?

1 comments:

sactriman said...

Europeans as well as other people from around the world do not see a connection between American products and American values. Does an Ipod represent freedom, liberty, and democracy? No, it's a symbol of youth and if you like music then and Ipod is the perfect condiment for the everyday student or young professional. Have you ever looked at your clothing tags? When I worked at Abercrombie and Fitch I would see where the clothing was made. Some said China, Malaysia, or Taiwan. Have you ever thought who makes the shirt I am wearing, whether they are 12 years old boy or a 60 year old woman? The connection between products and values is dissolving, and the consumer buys products based not on where it comes from but what it can provide.