Sunday, January 28, 2007

Capitalism Takes Over Telegraph (Berkeley)


Berkeley
Originally uploaded by wr_downing33.
In the spring of 2002, I was a senior at Cal. The weather was nice. School was almost out and there was a lot of excitement in the air as graduation loomed. After class, I can remember taking the long way home from class. Along Telegraph Avenue I'd check out the different stores, eclectic street vendors, grab a slice of pizza, and soak in all that was Berkeley. Afterall, my fours were almost up.

It had been some time since I had visit my alm mater and on Saturday I had a chance to check out campus and the area.

For those of you who are die hard Berkeley natives from the 1960's please stop reading this post now. What I am about to tell you might be too disturbing.

Telegraph was lined with creative, unique and interesting stores. Now, I am affraid to report that capitalism has taken over. As you exit campus, and walk down Telegraph you will pass Sprint, EB Games, Chipotle, and Addidas on your left. Down further are other examples of the corporate take over of Telegraph.

If there is one positive to take away from this; it should be that if capitalism can succeed on Telegraph, then it can succeed anywhere.

0 comments: