Friday, February 08, 2008

Random thoughts that I have learned while traveling...

I travel about 200 days a year. I like being in new places, but I hate the effort it takes to get there. I started blogging when I started traveling more for work. My brain doesn't work when I am sitting at a desk or in my office. My brain works when I am out and about. Here are some things I have learned:

*American Airport Security is a joke. This is a no-brainer. Frequent business travelers can tell you account after account about how weak the security system really is in our airports. No one really listens.

*My blackberry is way better than my iPhone. I like playing with my iPhone, but when I am on the go and business needs to get done, the blackberry wins hands down.

*Renting a car could be so much easier. Why are rent-a-car companies stuck in the middle ages? Why can't I have a credit card specifically for renting a car so that I don't have to deal with paperwork, waiting for the security guard to let me out of the parking lot, etc...? I should get off the bus, know my space #, get in the car, drive to the gate, swipe my card, and go.

*All rental cars should have navigation. No extra fee.

*Southwest has a new boarding protocol. It sucks. It is way more confusing. Why can't they just issue seats like jetBlue?

*Why don't all flights have internet?

*When it comes to customer experience US Airlines have no clue how to win and keep business. Fly on Virgin, British, Luftansa, Emirates, etc....They go above and beyond to keep you happy and pleased. The industry is very competitive, but US carriers treat you as they don't care and that you owe them. Very similar to the US Automobile industry. GM and Ford have been taught a real lesson by Toyota. If American, United and US Airways don't pay attention they are going to get a rude awakening from non-American rivals.

*Traveling makes you appreciate being home with friends and family.

*My iPod Classic 160GB is the single greatest electronic I have ever bought. I can't understand how I survived without it. No matter where I go, I take it with me. (I can't believe Strati was right.)

*I find myself wanting to use my laptop less and less. Instead I take pictures from my iphone and upload to flickr. I twitter things via my blackberry.

*Pizza is still my favorite food.

0 comments: